What is the cost of a CMRC license?

The cost of a CMRC license is $123.89 + applicable HST or GST depending on where you live in Canada.

Does any amount of my annual license fee go towards my region?

Yes, $40 of every CMRC annual license is directed towards the regional organization in which you reside. Those monies are used by the region for administration costs, prizing, banquets, staff, etc.

What is the breakdown of the CMRC license fee?

$40 is directed to the region, $30 is to pay for a $25,000 Accidental Death & Dismemberment policy for each and every CMRC license holder, $10 goes to MXP Magazine (every license receives an annual subscription), the remaining $43.89 is used by CMRC to support their infrastructure and administration cost to run Canada’s national sanctioning organization for off-road racing.

Is CMRC recognized by the motorcycle industry in Canada?

CMRC is the only motocross racing organization to sit on the Board of Directors of the Motorcycle Confederation of Canada, a group that is supported through the Motorcycle and Moped Industry Council and the motorcycle manufacturers.

Are there national benefits of being a CMRC license holder in a region?

CMRC is the exclusive nationally recognized sanctioning organization that governs racing from coast to coast. Any CMRC license holder can participate in all CMRC sanctioned events across the country. CMRC has a national infrastructure for Amateur and Pros at the regional, provincial and national championship levels. CMRC sets the standards for safety and rules for racing.

How do I get started?

Many new riders and parents that are ready to make the move from recreational rider to racer have a lot of questions regarding CMRC sanctioned races. Following are the answers to frequently asked questions that will make your transition to a CMRC motocross racer much easier.

How do I purchase my licence

There are three methods of purchasing a CMRC license. Buy it online through our Member Services option (top right corner of home page) (2) Acquire the current year’s license application from the CMRC website (, CMRC regional director or from the CMRC Head Office (P.O. Box 1466, Stouffville, Ontario L4A 8A3 – tel. (905) 642-5607 or email: Fill out the application in full making sure to neatly fill in all mailing information, requested racing numbers, and class. Be sure to sign the waiver on the reverse side (applicants under 18 require a Parent or Legal Guardian to sign the Minor Waiver). Mail the application along with a $140* cheque or money order (no cash) to the CMRC Head Office in Stouffville (an Accidental Death & Dismemberment insurance policy is included in the price). Once the application has been received, CMRC will process it and return by mail your racing license, CMRC stickers, and the respective regional schedule. All CMRC license holders receive the bi-monthly magazine “MX Performance” included in the $140* annual fee.* $130 for Western Canadian residents 2) Join at the nearest CMRC sanctioned race (for regional schedules see the “Schedule” section on CMRC’s website). If you choose this option, you will be able to race that day, but will have to compete with a temporary number. Members under 18 require a Parent or Legal Guardian to sign the Minor Waiver before being permitted to race. The region will then forward your application to CMRC’s Head Office.

How do you assign numbers?

There are four groups of numbers that are utilized for assigning numbers. They are: Group 1: 50cc, 65cc, 85cc 7 to 11 Group 2: 80cc 12 to 16, Beginner, Junior Group 3: Intermediate, Pro Group 4: All ATV If the number in any class in your group has been assigned, it no longer is available even if the assignee does not compete in your class. Amateur numbers range from 11 to 999 in each group. Pro class numbers are assigned from 1-50 determined by the final standings of the national championships. An Intermediate rider can have a number from 11-50 providing there is no Pro in that region that has been assigned that national number.

What equipment is required to start racing?

The minimum equipment requirements to begin racing are a DOT approved helmet or better, goggles, long sleeve jersey, gloves, long pants, and boots with ankle protection. CMRC recommends that proper motocross equipment be acquired if you decide to compete on a regular basis. These pieces of equipment include DOT approved helmet or better, goggles, motocross jersey with elbow and shoulder padding, front and back chest protector, motocross gloves with finger padding, kidney belt, motocross pants with hip and knee pads, and motocross boots with ankle protection. Knee braces are optional but are highly recommended for riders that have knee problems or for taking preventative measures.

How much will it cost to race?

The first cost you will incur is gate admission. The fees range from $5t o $10 per person, depending on their age (gate fees range from region to region). Each person with you is required to pay gate admission. Your next cost is entry fee. Fees do vary in each region, but traditionally entry fee is $20-$25 for 50/60 classes, $30 to enter all other classes, and $25-$30for any additional class you may enter (prices vary in each region). You are allowed to enter a maximum of three classes per day. If there is a “doubleheader”, meaning two races on a weekend on the same track, you will be required to pay gate fee and entry fee each separate day as if there were two separate races, unless otherwise posted.

What do I do when I get to my first race?

The first suggestion would be to arrive at the track early. Contact your local promoter or club to find out what time sign-in begins. Traditionally, registration begins at 7:00am and ends at 9:00am. Go to the registration area, get an entry form, fill out the required information, sign the release on the back then take it to sign in. Be sure to have your current CMRC racing license available to present. If you don’t have a license find the appropriate form, fill in out in complete, sign the waivers and take it to sign in along with your entry form. When signing in, present your forms, pay the appropriate fee for the class(es) you have entered, and sign the release waiver. You are now in! If you are given a sticker in order to practice, be sure to put it on the front number plate of your bike or else you will not be permitted to practice. Be sure to attend rider’s meeting at every event for special instructions pertaining to the track, explanation of flags, practice order, etc. Once rider’s meeting has finished go directly back to your pit area and prepare to practice. Write down the practice order when at the rider’s meeting to avoid any confusion. Have your mechanic or friend write down the race order when it has been posted so you will never be late for your moto. Always listen to announcements. They will usually keep you updated on the class that is on the track, on the line or in staging.

Do I have to race every weekend?

No you do not. You can pick and choose any race or series in which you wish to compete. If you choose to participate in a series, you acquire points for each moto you race. The moto results are combined for your overall finish for the day with the total points added to your series points (see the “Results” section of If you miss a race you simply do not acquire series points. All series standings list the rider that has the most accumulated points then descends to the rider(s) with the fewest points.

Where can I practice?

Some CMRC sanctioned tracks hold practice during the week but most do not. Contact your local track to see if they offer their track for practice. Contact your local motorcycle dealership. Most dealerships that are involved in motocross are aware of popular riding areas. Ask new acquaintances from the local race where they practice. This is the most popular method where you will find tracks that you never thought existed. Join the local motorcycle club. There are several motorcycle clubs throughout the country that hold club practice or races during the week and on weekends.

How do I advance from one class to the higher rank?

When you compete in a class where “Upgrade Points” apply, you earn points by finishing overall in the top four. The points awarded are: 1st 4 points, 2nd – 3 points, 3rd – 2 points, 4th – 1 point. In order to advance to the next class you must accumulate the following number of points: Beginner to Junior 12 points Junior to Intermediate 18 points Intermediate to Pro 36 points At the end of a series, you will then be required to advance to the higher class.

I am 12 years old and want to race in the 85cc class. Which one do I ride in?

If you have just turned 11 the class to enter is the 80cc – 7 to 11 division. If you turn 12 throughout the season you are allowed to remain in the 7 to 11 division, however, the day you turn 12 you have the option to remain in the 7 to 11 class or advance to the 12 to 16 division. Once a decision is made, your decision is final. You cannot compete in both age divisions. It’s one or the other.

Are the 7 to 11 and 12 to 16 classes the only class I can race an 85cc bike?

No, you can also compete in the Super Mini class. The Super Mini class is open to all 80cc and 112cc competitors.

I am 32 years old. What is the best class for me to race in?

At all CMRC sanctioned motocross races a Veteran class (30 – 39 year olds) is offered. In some regions, it is split even further in to Vet Junior and Vet Master. If you are just starting, it is recommended to enter the Vet Junior (or Veteran) class. Here, you race against competitors that also have to go to work the next day, and tend to ride with a little more care than younger racers. If you enter a Vet Junior class, your competitors are within the same age range and have either Beginner or Junior riding abilities.

I have a 250cc bike. What classes are available to me?

If you are just starting you would be classified as a Beginner. With a 250cc four-stroke bike, you can enter the MX2 Beginner and GP Beginner classes. The GP class is open to all Beginners with the displacement range 100cc to 500cc. If you are 14, you can also compete in the Schoolboy class (riders 12 to 16 years) and the Youth class (riders 14 to 24 years). If you are 25 or older, you can also compete in the Plus 25 (25 to 29 years) and Youth classes. If you are 40, you can also compete in the Plus 40 (40 years and older) and Veteran classes.